While volunteering with the Malawi Volunteer Organisation, during the week you will be living at the MVO house and participating in the project streams you have chosen. From Friday lunch to Sunday dinner you are free to explore the sights and visit the nearby towns and attractions. Here are some accommodation links for a few of the most popular weekend activities that you might consider for your free time while you are here.
CAPE MACLEAR ►Cape MacLear is approximately a 40min drive from MVO House - return transport is USD$50 per car. The Lake Malawi National Park is the world’s first freshwater national park and a World Heritage Site, it is located on the picturesque Cape Maclear - click here to learn more.
Accommodation is available from many lodges at Cape Maclear, here are some that are worth considering:
- Fat Monkeys – Web site: www.fatmonkeys.com - Email to: fatMonkeys@africa-online.net
- The Funky Cichlid - Web site: www.thefunkycichlid.com - Email to: email@example.com
- Gecko Lounge - Web site: geckolounge69 (facebook) - Email to:
- Annies Lodge - Web site: www.annieslodge.com - Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mgoza Lodge - Web site: www.mgozalodge.com - Email to: email@example.com
LIWONDE NATIONAL PARK ►The Liwande National Park is approximately a 2hr drive from MVO House - transport cost is USD$200 return, per car. The Liwande National Park is situated along the shores of the Shire River (here), running out of Lake Malombe just below the southern end of Lake Malawi - click here for more information.
Accommodation is available at a number of locations, including these two authentic safari style camps:
- Bushman's Baobabs - Web site: www.bushmansbaobabs.com - Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Liwonde Safari Camp - Web site: www.liwondesafaricamp.com - Email to: email@example.com
MALAWI VILLAGE EXPERIENCES ►
- The Njobvu Cultural Village Lodge – Web site: www.njobvuvillage.org - Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Location: Map
- Mpale Cultural Village – Web site: MpaleCulturalVillage (Facebook) - Email to: email@example.com Location: Map
ZOMBA ►Transport will cost around USD$250 return and it takes about 2½ hours to get to Zomba. The city is the former capital of the country and is in a beautiful location, below the plateau of the same name. This was the first settlement of the colonial administration and has some interesting buildings and monuments - click here for more.
- Annie's Lodge – Web site: www.annieslodge.com - Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotel Masongola – Web site: see Trip Advisor - Email to: email@example.com
- Casa Rossa – Web site: www.casarossamw.com - Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pakachere Backpackers – Web site: www.pakachere.com - Email to: email@example.com
MANGOCHI ►Approximartely 40min travel by car from MVO House lies the town of Mangochi. Transport will cost about USD$50 return per vehicle. Mangochi is situated between Lakes Malawi & Lake Malombe and has a number of historical monuments dating back to the beginning of the twentieth century - click here for more information
- Villa Tafika Lodge – Web site: www.villatafika.com - Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Welliville Lodge - Web site: Welliville Lodge (Facebook) - Email to: email@example.com
- Nkhudzi Lodge – Web site: Nkhudzi Lodge (Facebook) - Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sun'n'Sand Holiday Resort - Web site: www.sunnsandmw.com - Email to: email@example.com
- Club Makakola – Web site: www.clubmak.com - Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
MONKEY BAY ►From MVO House the round trip transport to Monkey Bay will cost about USD$40 and it will take around 20min. to get there.
- Mufasa Rustic Backpackers Camp - Web site: Mufasa Rustic Backpackers Camp (Facebook) - Email to:
- Mufasa Eco-Lodge - Web site: See Tripadvisor - Email to:
NAMAKOMA VILLAGE ►5 min walk from MVO house
- Norman Carr Cottage - Web site: www.normancarrcottage.com - Email to: email@example.com Taffy, the owner, gives our volunteers a special rate. This rate includes all meals, beautiful rooms, a huge bed, gorgeous outdoor bathroom with hot shower, sunset boat trip and morning snorkel trip. A local band plays after dinner. A luxurious and superb getaway. My favourite local spot.
Please understand that MVO volunteers are not permitted to use public transport as we cannot guarantee their safety. As a result, we provide high-quality, safe transport to and from each weekend activity. These costs are NOT included in the project fees, and must be paid by the volunteer. Transport can be arranged and paid in advance before the arrival of the volunteer, or on each Friday, before the volunteer leaves for the weekend activity. MVO will accept cash payment in USD or MKW. Please note that MVO does not accept responsibility for booking accommodation. This can be done easily and efficiently over the internet, when available. Accommodation can be booked on the day but in the busy seasons you may find a lack of availability. My personal recommendation would be to decide, prior to your departure, which weekend activities you would like to do on each weekend, and then make the accommodation arrangements and payment prior to departure to Malawi. Once your accommodation has been confirmed - let the MVO know and transport can be arranged.
For help or advice please email firstname.lastname@example.org